Welcome!

Welcome! Thanks for following along with my adventures - down to the very pages that make up the chapters in the current book of my life. Now that that metaphor has been thoroughly exhausted, I hope you'll stick with it and feel a part of the 8 weeks that I will spend in Bo, Sierra Leone. I'll be doing some specific tasks, including: facilitating two book clubs, facilitating a Bible study, tutoring resident students, working with the guidance counselor, and conducting staff training. I'm sure there will also be plenty that I have not anticipated and I'm looking forward to what God brings my way. I appreciate your being a part of it!

Monday, January 3, 2011

A Serious Dilemma...

Happy 2011! It's only 6 days until I leave for Sierra Leone and a most pressing issue is on my mind today: footwear. Perhaps I should be thinking about travel delays, heat, what to do about the lack of ice for my water, or any other REALLY important issue, but the truth is that footwear in Africa bears thinking about.


To have foot sweat or not to have foot sweat: this is the question. And since I do not desire to parody a famous monologue, I will now just describe the problem. I'm pondering dirt vs. comfort vs. cuteness. You see, I have great looking flip-floppy shoes that are super cute and match cute outfits. However, I won't be wearing cute outfits in Sierra Leone and I risk super cute shoes getting super dusty and cruddy. This then means that I need to purchase rather utilitarian flip-flops which are not fun but will get the job done. I found some Croc flip-flops at Nordstrom Rack which are sort of spiky on the soles and will fool me that I'm getting a foot massage when I walk with them. But I, being me, feel the need to comparison shop at Target and Walmart.  Perhaps they won't have any flip-flops and the problem will be solved; the Crocs will be keepers.  Now I find myself annoyed that I brought some fun flip-flops from NY that will now remain in MI and I will then just lug them home again in March.  What was I thinking?
    
I know you're wondering when the foot sweat issue is to come up. With flip-flops this is not a problem. However, if one wishes to hike or wander dusty streets, it might be best to have a more substantial shoe. One has to weigh practicality (like wearing an appropriate shoe) with comfort (not having foot sweat) vs. shoe care (how dusty does one want one's shoes to get?). Since I don't own a pair of real Crocs and don't intend to, I'm left with rather cute sneaker things with petite white socklets (which quickly acquire a ring of dust around the top).  I think I need to take these just to pretend I'm being practical (or in the case that I will really need to be so - for example I'd like to go to Tiwai Island Wildlife Sanctuary and when trekking after monkeys it's probably best to wear a practical shoe). Okay, that dilemma is solved. One pair of cute sneaker/somewhat practical shoes. Check. Multiple pairs of socklets. Check.  MAYBE a cute pair or flip-flops just in case I get the chance to look cute. And one (maybe 2?) pairs of utilitarian flip-flops.

Time to go shopping...

3 comments:

  1. Don't be cute. Get out a Patagonia catalog and order what you need. Problem solved. Always think quality first. Gosh, you're just like Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all I can say is: scary. Get the flops at nordstrom rack and be done. And, for heavens sake, just because Peter goes to Wal-hell doesn't mean you have to. Be your own Marshall, girl. BE YOUR OWN MARSHALL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you but i'm irritated that i had to read this ridiculous entry...I will note however, that in reading the blogs backwards, the ascension of your growth becomes clear...(this entry would never have been written in February).

    ReplyDelete